Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Ordination

Doshu’s ordination is coming up next month. Invitations are going out now and many friends and family members are curious about what it means to become a monk in this tradition. I’m often asked how I feel about Doshu becoming a monk. Perhaps this is a polite way of asking “But what about your sex life?” I was pretty curious about this too, but a vow of celibacy is not a part of this ceremony.

Years ago, Doshu and I made an agreement to support each other in our spiritual development. I’d been meditating in a haphazard way since my university days, and we both joined the Toronto Zen Centre, but now we had small children and lived in rural BC so I joined the local women’s healing circle in my community, while Doshu continued to practise solo long-distance zen. We women met weekly and together explored various spiritualities, finally settling into a Wiccan practice as taught by Starhawk and the Reclaiming Collective. This transformational practice is encapsulated in its only rule: Do as you will and harm none. Starhawk strongly recommended a personal daily meditation practice, but there was no instruction in this. These were exciting times, learning to use trance as a tool for self discovery and group spiritual work, learning to change consciousness at will. I am so grateful to the powerful women who shared in this adventure.

A few years ago Doshu became seriously ill and spent many months in hospital in Vancouver. At the end of his ordeal he was alive, and thanks to a bone marrow transplant, getting better. We left our beloved Mitchell Bay, moved to Victoria, and I began seriously studying Qi Gong with the idea of becoming a practitioner. However, here again was the directive to meditate daily, yet no instruction on how to do this.

Then Doshu connected with the Victoria Zen Centre. He found a local spiritual home at last, and I found the support and community I need to develop and maintain a daily meditation practice.

I’m happy that Doshu has been able to follow the spiritual path of his choice. After years of flying to Toronto for intensives, it’s wonderful for him to have an active zen centre right here. And not only local but this is a centre that offers programs tailor made to each individual, from beginners to those who are ready for a residential program and even ordination. We are blessed to live in a time and place (Victoria!) where Zen is alive. -Soshin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be considerate and uphold the sila.