Thursday, June 18, 2009

A Tea Story - Doshu

One time at a Tuesday UVic sit, Shoji and Shoshoji were a little late arriving for the setup before the sit, so as Shika, I started making the tea to help them out. Our ususal routine is to boil water and make the tea in two thermos jugs, so that it will be hot for serving at tea time following the sit.

When it came time for tea, we were served luke warm water, and I realized someting about meddling in other people's business. As part of my 'helpful assistance' I had filled the thermos jugs with warm water to preheat them, and failed to communicate this to Shoji when she arrived. As Shika, I am supposed to be training the officers, and one of the cardinal guidelines is to do one's job and let others to theirs.

I am grateful for the wisdom embodied in the form we use.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be considerate and uphold the sila.