Monday, March 8, 2010

Noble Truth of Suffering

Dear friends,

I wanted to write to you all to talk about some of my challenges and struggles on the path. I read last night the vows that I took at Jukai and reminded myself of the commitments I made. I came to Zen practice in response to the noble truth of suffering as it manifested in my own life. I was going through a period of anxiety and insomnia and I needed to find a way forward. Through the years that I have been involved with the Centre, I have seen many positive changes happen in my life and some major shifts in my awareness and responsiveness to the world around me. Yet, through this, I continued to hit against the old patterns, the battles with sleep, the anxiety and self-doubt. Recently, I have found myself struggling again with many of the same challenges. Pounding anxiety with no obvious source and the struggles to gain rest. The teachings have been a great source of strength, yet the challenges persist. I am committed to following the teachings of Buddha, to apply his antidote of awareness, meditation and no-self to the suffering that is present. The practice does not protect me from difficulties - it is not an insurance policy. But, in time, with faith and persistence, I hope that I can bring better balance to my speech, body and mind. “May all beings be well, free from harm and difficulties, may they be peaceful and happy”. Nine Bows.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be considerate and uphold the sila.