Saturday, July 25, 2009

A thank-you to all


At the recent commitment ceremony, I experienced the most wonderful outpouring of love and kindness from all who were present, and from many who were unable to attend. Thank-you all.

I particularly want to acknowledge my wife Soshin, for her patience and unqualified support, my fellow initiates, Seishin, Myoshin, and Myoko, who made the day so memorable, the sangha of the Victoria Zen Centre, for their energy and encouragement, and our teacher, Venerable Eshu, without whose guidance none of this would be possible.

nine bows,
Doshu

1 comment:

  1. Last Thursday, as I walked behind Doshu during the Kinhin round at Queenswood, the call to go deeper into this practice washed over me. As we trumped over the wood chips, past overhanging branches, felt the cool breeze and warm light of a fading sun, I got a little emotional. Work-life, the demand of deadlines, petty politics and ego, personal “objectives” and all the other stuff that goes with the Life of a Householder felt like the white caps of a wind-blown sea. The deep, ancient rhythm of the ocean underpinned it all and I felt the call to sink deeper. I was reminded of our Final Instructions from Daito Kokushi...time flies like an arrow...do not fixate on worldly affairs. This feeling passed and as soon as we sat down again I was right back into the thick of thoughts flying in and out. But, what struck me was that it was walking behind Doshu that prompted my shift of heart - even though it lasted for a short moment. For me, the gift of ordination was to be inspired by another’s example. To take strength in their faith. To find a moment of clarity in my own confusion and to settle into a place of coming home. Feeling the ripples in my own life of Doshu’s ordination was a powerful reminder to me that every action we take impacts all sentient beings.

    Seishu.

    ReplyDelete

Please be considerate and uphold the sila.